Saturday 19 March 2011

DEJA VU

I'm having a new carb cable made up by Mr Cruse who at the same time has managed to free up the seized decompressor - it defeated me even after a week soaking in penetrating fluid. I've fitted the flywheel and set it correctly and also adjusted the points to a 15 thou gap.
Whilst waiting I checked over the machine which has been stored in my garage all winter. Sadly the rear roller had rusted over so has been removed and once again will need to be cleaned up with a rotary wire brush. The mistake I made in the autumn was that after lacquering the roller I gave it a spay coating of WD40 thinking this would act as a barrier to dampness. Well it had the exact opposite effect ! WD40 is a penetrating fluid and evaporates over time so it's dissolved the lacquer, evaporated and then exposed the bare metal - hence the rust.
This time I'll leave the roller with just the lacquer finish and maybe wipe over with a thin oil. 
I appreciate that I could be viewed as being too fastidious but with the machine now looking virtually as new a rusty roller would detract and 'spoil the ship'

No comments:

Post a Comment