Sunday 26 September 2010

ANY COLOUR YOU LIKE AS LONG AS IT'S...... GREEN. (Sorry Henry !)



Started painting this week. Not withstanding being painted directly over bare metal and rust whoever painted the mower last did a fair job as it was not painted whilst assembled. Not a single part was stuck to another by dried paint so it must have been completely dismantled just as I’m doing.  There’s more pressing work that needs doing other than painting but like lacquering it’s essential the painting of component parts is completed before the winter sets in. I’ve learnt from experience that although paint can be touch dry in  a day or so and allegedly ‘fully’ dry in 3/4 days the reality is that oil based paint simply does not go rock hard for several weeks-if not months- especially in a cold, wet environment. (As in my garage!) When the time comes for final reassembly I don’t want to be smudging paint that hasn’t fully cured.

After weeks of deliberation I’ve decider on a colour. This has been another nail biting issue. Firstly a lawnmower should be green. I’ve seen restored machines in other colours and as good as they are they simply don’t look ‘right’. Choosing a colour is subjective, personal as well as confusing as there are simply too many shades and what looks correct on a colour card may not be right when seen in the whole.   Anyway I’ve opted for RAL 6005 moss green oil based gloss. Fingers crossed it will look acceptable on the end product. Absolute originality is not that important here as I understand Atco used whatever shade of green was available at the time and this varied.
It’s a good job we restorers don’t cost our time. Irrationally I’ve spent the past few days stripping the non original red paint off the handles. It’s so ingrained that no amount of paint stripper and wire brushing will shift it. So after at least ten hours work-all for nothing- I’ve decided to have new handles turned. And whilst I’m about it I’ll also have new oak front rollers made as the existing ones are rotten and split.

 I’ve made a new tool box. There was nothing wrong with the old one-it just looked shabby. I’ll use the existing lid but bought a strip of white oak to make the box. I’ve yet to decide what transfer to stick on the lid.  Straight forward job. Old and new in the photo.
I also fully restored the starting handle. Fortunately the oak wooden handle was sound albeit ingrained with oil and dirt but that was simply sanded back to clean bare wood and then brushed with three coats of  yacht varnish.


  Although I bought a set of new Whitworth spanners specifically to use on this restoration I’ve also purchased a complete set of period pre WW1 AF spanners complete with original spring clip all in virtually unused condition. Along with an old brass oil can I think these look the part in the new tool box.



No comments:

Post a Comment