Sunday 21 November 2010

GOT BY THE SHORT AND CURLIES


Monday  15/11. At the end of this blog at the conclusion of the restoration I will include a credits list – those supplies I have used throughout the restoration but I will not be acknowledging the (expletive) from whom I ordered the new oak turnings. He was sent a detailed spec and drawing of the rollers and handles from which he gave a written, fixed, all inclusive price and ten day turn around time. He was also sent one of the roller brass inner sleeves and an old oak handle as a pattern to work from. Now two months later he hasn’t even started the job and wants more money. Yes I could tell him to ….. (you know what) but then he won’t return the items I sent as patterns and I’ll have another wait ordering elsewhere.  I’m minded to let him proceed and when finished refuse to pay the extra but that’s dishonest and not my style.  When I quote a client I stick to it even if we only cut even.

Update, Friday 19/11.  The oak rollers and handles eventually arrived yesterday.  The handles are fine but the rollers are each 1/8” too short. I had sent the turner one of the 3 7/8” long brass inner sleeves as a pattern only so that the centre hole would be machined to take the sleeve as a push fit but, contrary to the 4” long roller length given on my drawing, he’s used the sleeve length as a pattern for the length of the rollers. These sleeves are 1/8” shorter than the roller to ensure that the spacer washers sit against the side wall of the roller and not the sleeve. 1/8” doesn’t sound much but with five rollers there’s now a 5/8” gap at the end of the roller shaft. This will have to be ‘taken up’ with thicker spacers (which won’t look right) or a 5/16” collar at each end of the shaft. More unnecessary work ! 







No comments:

Post a Comment