Sunday 7 November 2010

LOST SIXPENCE AND FOUND A TANNER




Update. I’ve now collected the ride-on seat and rear roller from the metal finishers. On the one hand I was very pleased that all the old galvanising on the seat as well as the paint, rust and most of the light pitting on the roller had been removed but at the same time a tad disappointed that the blasting process did not leave the shiny bare steel finish I was expecting. It’s difficult to explain the finish they achieved; best described as a very fine ‘textured’ surface in dull silver. Anyway on balance I’m happy with what was done, certainly a better finish than I could have achieved.
 I’ve left the seat as finished by blasting and given it several coats of lacquer.  When I collected these items they had just finished the blasting, by the time I got home –about 45 minutes later on a sunny day- the roller was covered in a rust bloom.  I made a new jig for holding the roller whilst the rust was removed with a rotary wire brush. The instant I finished this exercise the roller was dusted off and given three coats of lacquer.  Before and after in photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment