Sunday 14 November 2010

RIPPLES AND NIPPLES


This week I also fitted the restored clutch lever assembly. It’s a straight forward job but very fiddly and took several attempts to get it right. Two pairs of hands are a must. Even now I suspect that although operating correctly the clutch is not fully releasing but there is means of adjustment so another tweaking issue on completion.
I have previously said that the carb control cable was "working perfectly", well I was wrong. It's difficult to test a cable off the machine and now having fitted the cable I find that the inner wire is partially seized inside the cable sleeve - doubtless due to a combination of slight ripples and kinks along the length, frayed strands and age. I've sent an enquiry to the OLMclub for a replacement and also advice on fitting. There's a nipple on each end, at the lever end this is easily fitted but at the other end the wire goes through the screw on carburettor cap and then terminates with a nipple. So one of those nipples must be clamped/brazed on after assembly; or is there something I'm missing here ? Watch this space.
Update. Jonathan Cruse has kindly confirmed my above observation in that the nipple at the carb end has to be fitted after passing through the carb cap. He’s offered to make up a new cable but I’ll wait and have this done when I take the machine to him for a few mechanical issues which are beyond me.

No comments:

Post a Comment