Tuesday 23 November 2010

WHERE DO THESE GO ?

Somewhere earlier in this blog I’ve mentioned that at the conclusion of every restoration I’ve ever undertaken there’s a grommet, widget or whatever left over with no apparent home. Well this Atco restoration is no exception. The photo shows two flat plates roughly 2” x 1” which I think may have something to do with the fuel tank mounting brackets but having looked very carefully at the video I took during dismantling their location is nowhere to be found. The machine hasn’t yet collapsed so they can’t be that important but any suggestions would be appreciated.

6 comments:

  1. are they iron brass leather? are they flixible, or look like they were once bent? give us a clue. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steel, flat (never bent), 21/4" x 1" x 3/32". 1/4" holes at 11/4" centres.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roy, these look like the backplates for the exhaust guard brackets. What you should also have is a long strip of steel, around 18in by 1in, with two holes at either end and two U-shaped clasps with threads on each finger. The clasp goes around one of the cross-spars, through the strip, then through one of these backplates and is then secured in place with some nuts. Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Keith - I do think you're right but I can't check 'till my siezed back has abated then I'll get down on all fours and have a look. Regards Roy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Update. Sorry Keith I misunderstood the area to which you were referring - I'm not thinking straight at the moment. My machine never had that strip over the exhaust so these plates must belong elsewhere. Their 'home' remains a mystery but thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if Kieth is refering to the same part that I suggested. I described it as a main drive chain guard, but that same guard would prevent oil being flung onto the hot exhaust. I've just checked your photo and your machine "did" have one.

    ReplyDelete