Sunday 21 November 2010

TRICKY TRANSFERS

I’ve received the three new transfers ordered from the OLMClub as well as a couple bought through ebay.  The tool box should have the circular Chas. H Pugh transfer on the lid (at least that what was on the machine when bought) but I preferred the large Atco name version.  This was applied without a problem as detailed instructions were sent by the ebay seller.  There was no ‘home’ for the small Atco name transfer so I decided to stick it to the rear cross member of the ride-on attachment. And what a hash I made of it ! As I was peeling off the backing paper the transfer creased and attempts to smooth it out only produced even more creases and tares so the remnants were removed and discarded.
The correct (so I’m informed) transfer for either side of the fuel tank is the gold Atco name sticker which is fine against a green background but as my tank is polished brass the gold transfer would be ‘lost’ so I ordered the green ‘tank’ transfer which I think looks more prominent.
A word of caution to anyone not used to applying transfers. (ie moi !)
To my knowledge there are at least three types of transfers, or should I say means of applying, so be certain first which you have as mistakes cannot be rectified afterwards. The two purchased via ebay  are the type where on the face side the lettering shows in reverse (ie mirror image) and these need to be wetted, applied ‘up side down’ – also to a dampened surface -  after which the backing paper which is uppermost carefully peeled off leaving the transfer on the surface which then may need to be smoothed over to remove bubbles and creases as in wallpapering. Others are simply stick-on where the backing paper is first removed to expose the sticky underside and then pressed onto the surface. Finally another type has backing paper on both sides and is applied by first removing the underside paper, applied to the surface followed by very carefully peeling off the backing paper from the face side.  


This all may sound obvious to those in the know but I wasn’t and I’m somewhat surprised fitting instructions aren’t included with some of the transfers.    

2 comments: