Saturday 16 October 2010

BOLTS, NUTS AND HEADACHES.


  I’m really trying not to regret buying all new fasteners for this machine but I’m on the limit of my patience. However much I order there are always sizes and finishes I’m missing and have to buy yet more.   I’m reasonable with maths but those better than me can come up with a bottom line figure for the number of possible purchases. These are the permutations.

Required: Bolts + nuts + washers + penny washers + spring washers.
Multiplied by:
Finishes. Some in stainless steel, some in brass (and a few in plain steel as neither SS or brass are available in certain imperial sizes.)
Multiplied by:
Thread types: Whitworth, BSW (British Standard Whitworth) -there is a difference with head size, BSF (British Standard Fine) and where BSW is not obtainable UNC (Unified National Coarse) which mate with most BSW threads albeit technically frowned upon.
Multiplied by:
Sizes: 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2 and 5/8”.

And just to add to my woes I’m having to buy minimum packs of a dozen or so where only a few may be required.  When this restoration is finished I’ll have boxes full of now obsolete imperial fasteners I’ll have no further use for.

No comments:

Post a Comment