Sunday 24 October 2010

I'LL BE SELLING THE BIG ISSUE SOON.



This morning I attended my self petitioned bankruptcy hearing.
Judge:  “ Where’s all the money been spent Mr Grass, booze and women ?”
Me:       “No m’lud, on my Atco restoration, honestly”
Judge:  “Nonsense.  Case dismissed.  Next.”

I’ve tried keeping costs under control but I’m on a hiding to nothing. Just the new fasteners alone have cost more than the mower and they’re way down on the list of expenditure !  There is a plus side however. Having said at the outset that I propose offering the results of my labours to a museum or other worthy establishment I doubt I’ll find any takers so auctioning with funds going to a cancer charity may be my only option. At least I’ll glean a little satisfaction that someone will gain from my penury !   

Having decided to replace the ½” BSW steel nuts with the equivalent in brass I’ve realised that I will also need ½” imperial brass washers.  They’re hens’ teeth.  After hours online unsuccessfully trying to trace these in small quantities it occurred to me that folks at Stationary Engine may help so I posted on their forum. The consensus was that M12 should fit over ½” thread so heeding their advice I bought a pack of ten and they fit, just .  I already had M12 stainless washers but their ID was fractionally too small so I had assumed that the same would apply to washers made by other manufacturers. It seems that ID and OD sizes can vary by a few thou from one manufacturer to another so it’s pot luck if certain metric washers fit over imperial threads. I’ll also be using brass nuts over 3/8” BSW thread for which M10 brass washers are an acceptable albeit slightly slack fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment