Saturday 16 October 2010

RUBBER SOLE

 The foot-sole rests on the ride-on are rubber and on this mower split and perished rubber. Also the steel side plates are more rust than metal. I’m told that replacements are available but I’ve decided to use the square section of the oak spindle I bought to make up new ones. To be honest carpentry has always been my first love even from a teenager so making these has been thoroughly enjoyable. Admittedly I have again departed from originality but aesthetically they should look good alongside the matching oak handles, front rollers, tool box and starting handle.Old and new in photo.
Earlier I mentioned that as component parts were removed they were labelled and put into boxes awaiting painting / restoration. Another idea fine in theory !  Anyone familiar with this machine will know that all the cross bars and engine & fuel tank mounts have 3/8”+ or ½”+ ID tubular sleeves all of varying lengths. And there’s dozens of them.  When it comes to cleaning up and painting the whole !*&$*! lot get mixed up and the labelling system goes out of the window ! So now on final reassembly I’ll have a monumental task of working out which sleeve fits where and in what order. That’s for another day but the videos taken during dismantling should help.

No comments:

Post a Comment