Sunday 10 October 2010

NO FREE LUNCHES

I have mentioned a few times that I’ve been using black Hammerite. I bought a 2.5 litre tin on ebay a few months back for about two thirds normal price. Unquestionably this has been thinned down, not a lot but sufficient to still see the metal underneath after one coat.  For comparison I tried some from another old but unopened tin I had laying around and that gave total obliteration with one coat. The seller must have bought a job lot of a reject batch. Sad how some people earn a living.
In my humble opinion Hammerite Smooth is both the best and worst in metal protection. In brush on form out of a can it is unsurpassed, I used it on my Land Rover chassis a decade ago and not a trace of rust has come through - it still looks like it was applied yesterday. In thinned spray form it does no more than colour the workpiece and, short of a dozen coats, affords virtually no protection at all.    

No comments:

Post a Comment