Sunday 24 October 2010

ONE IN THE EYE FOR ROYTHEGRASS



The HT lead where it joins the magneto was in a frayed and sorry state. At some time the inner wire must have broken as the ends were twisted together and then wrapped in fabric insulation tape. I haven’t seen that old electrical tape since I was a teenager.  Given that the machine was working when bought I’m reluctant to buy yet another -maybe unnecessary- new part so I tidied up the join and used plastic insulation tape. Fingers crossed it will continue to function.
I was not 100% satisfied with the lacquered finish on the brass fuel tank. It’s a bit dull albeit acceptable but as this is a prominent feature on the machine ‘acceptable’ is not good enough.  I stripped the lacquer off, cleaned up with fine wire wool and then used wadding and polish.  Accepted it will require periodic buffing but the end result was worth it.


I’ve spent an entire day in Sutton eye hospital. Earlier this last week when I was sanding the rollers I wore my ordinary reading specs instead of safety glasses. Biiig mistake. A tiny shard of rusty metal must have got behind the lens and hit my eye and for the past few days it’s been sore and weeping.
The doctor in the A&E at the eye hospital found a ‘foreign object’ and after a local anaesthetic removed it in seconds.  I’m now wearing an eye patch so will be out of action for a couple of days. In my business I insist on operators using proper eye protection so this incident serves me right. (Typing courtesy of Mrs Grass ‘till I can see properly again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment